Happy Wednesday to you all, I hope you are all having a wonderful day ❤
After being sick for a month and a half, where I couldn’t read, write or do anything mildly creative, I hit a reading rut. Every time I tried to read, I just couldn’t keep reading at all. After a while, I realized that I haven’t been reading for more than a month (for me that’s a lot of time without reading).
For me, reading slumps are the worst, but lucky for me they are also very rare. However getting out of this reading rut is not always an easy task.
So… How do you know you are in a reading slump?
Here are a few known signs:
- You keep putting the book, back down.
- You have over 400 books on your bookshelves, but nothing calls your attention.
- You rather do anything, but reading when you finally have time for yourself.
There are many things that you can do to help you get out of the rut, and over the years I found a few things that helped me get out of the reading slump.
Here Are My 5 Ways to Get Out of a Reading Slump
- Re-read your favorite book. Rereading one of my favorite book (Pride & Prejudice, Harry Potter, The Host and more…), always fills me up with new energies and I am ready to read again.
- Read something light and easy. For me it’s very light contemporary books, they are a fast and easy read and help me a lot when I can feel the reading slump is starting.
- Schedule time to read. Most of us live by our schedules, and in order to get out of that annoying slump, you must learn to put a bit of time aside to read. So like anything else, schedule your reading into your day. Give reading 15 minutes to 30 minutes, but not too much. Start small.
- Re-Organize your bookshelves. This always gets me excited about a few books I want to reread or new books that sit patiently waiting for me to read them. Organizing and cleaning out my bookshelves always spark new motivation to read.
- Listen to an audiobook. Now, this is a new one for me, but I can tell you it helps a lot. It helps even more when the book is a bit hard to get into. The reason I love audiobooks is because, I can do a few things at once. I can listen to the book while getting ready in the morning or cleaning. I discovered audiobook through my mom, and only recently I started to listen to an audiobook and I can tell you, it really helped me with my reading slump.
That is all with my best tips for getting out of a reading slump, and I hope it might help you if you find yourself in a reading rut.
What are your ways to break out of a reading slump? Do you have any tips to add? Do you have a go-to book/s you re-read to overcome a reading slump?
As always thank you so much for reading ❤