This is a quick post on how I name my characters. Finding names is always hard for me, I don’t know why, my characters, most of the times, end up with a simple generic name (which is ok, sometimes), only when I reach halfway through the story I find the right name, that is perfect for her/him.
Having said that… In most cases, I know the name of my main character even before I start to write the story, but for the others… well, that’s more problematic for me.
If you are like me and you have a bit (or more) problems naming your characters in your story, I compiled a few tips on how I find names if they didn’t come already with the story set in my head.
1. Go to all the sites of baby names. Yes! Baby names, lol, I love those site. I have a least 10 sites of all kind of baby naming, lol. They are very helpful in finding nice names and what they mean and even can help you brainstorm and find great combinations of a few names you see there.
2. Before naming any character, try to think of its purpose in your story, what he/she needs to do and how the character will achieve that.
3. Write on paper all the qualities of that character and try to think how he/she will look and if someone calls out to them what will that be. Usually, by this time, I have a few names popping out and then if none of them feel perfect for me, I start scrambling the names or the letters until I find the one that sticks.
4. Try many languages, try to find names of places or even objects, lol, anything that strikes up your imagination.
5. Keep the names simple enough so that the reader can pronounce it, lol.
6. The theme of the name should always fit the theme of the story and place. Unless I want it to be so different on purpose, so he/she will pop in the setting of the story (more than others).
These are my tips for naming characters, I tried to keep it sweet & short 😉 and I hope that it helped you in any way.
I found this cool short clip of George R. R. Martin where he talks about naming characters and I really wanted to share it with you 🙂
How are you coming up with names for your characters? Share your tips for naming characters in the comments.
Thank you so much for reading ❤